Thursday, October 7, 2010

No Offence

I have recently embarked on quite an adventure and I’m meeting a lot of... erm... different people. I’ve moved around a lot in my life so I am used to adaptation and meeting people from different social upbringings but this particular guy honestly shocked me.

I’ve been having trouble sleeping so I’m quite exhausted. Sleep is like my best friend and without it I’m dysfunctional. I have tried many remedies to no avail so when this guy asked me how it was going I explained that nothing was working. His response was “I can put you to sleep”.

Now obviously I’m not slow so I kinda figured what he was saying to me but the rational part of me was saying “Girl you’ve got such a dirty mind, of course he doesn’t mean that! He wouldn’t dare!”

I was wrong. He meant it.

I’ve known this guy for about 5 weeks and we don’t know each other very well at all so the only conclusion I could come up with is that he thought I was the kind of person who would take him up on his offer.

Needless to say I was offended to the core and ensured he knew it. I need to explain that I’ve become a woman. I have set aside childish ways (most of the time!) and I’m acting like a mature individual. As a result this black boy was saved from my very rude and insulting reply. There’s ways to deal with ignorant people that does not require any Jackie Chan or Lequisha from the Bronx. I proceeded to explain very plainly that it was not ok to address anyone that way and that if he had said it to my face I would have gone ghetto on him.
He wasn’t even fazed! He just said he does this all the time and has received 4 offers as a result so it was worth a try to see what reaction he would get!

At that point my outrage subsided. It wasn’t an insult to me, he was just crazy. 
That I can deal with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...