Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Reach for the Stars!

I have had such a hectic month and I am glad to see it go! I also acquired a year to my age which to be honest was the worst birthday ever! But, moving on...

I have recently become obsessed with engagement rings! I can’t even explain what brought it on! I’m not even that eager to get married! Maybe it’s the fact that my birthday reminded me that I’m getting older or my constant feeling of broodiness or, which is my most likely conclusion, the fact that I have gone back to being the old me.

In the past 2 to 3 years I began to settle. I know it’s disgusting! I settled on which job I had, what food to eat, what clothes to wear and worst of all, what people I had around me. It wasn’t a conscious decision but I have always been told I was too something – too honest, too picky, too unrealistic, I aimed too high, I expected too much...

I’m not one to be bothered by people’s opinion of me but when everyone is saying the same thing you start to wonder if maybe you are indeed expecting too much from life and that maybe you are being unrealistic and will end up falling flat on your face. I was a ‘If it’s not exactly what I want, I don’t want anything’ kinda girl. But then I started to settle - so what if my job bored me out of my head, it paid the bills! So what if the red killer dress I saw online wasn’t in store, the blue one was cute too! So what if my friend was being moody, she's dealing with a breakup!

The problem with this acceptance of circumstances is that you stop living life and start coasting. You begin to not aim so high because ‘shit happens’ regardless and you don’t want to be disappointed. I started excepting people for who they were instead of surrounding myself with people that I could relate to. I became so understanding that I started to make excuses for peoples’ behaviour. I became so ‘nice’ even I couldn’t stand me!

And then one day a few weeks ago I had a very rude awakening. I was being taken for a d***head by someone I really cared about! My new understanding self had refused to see that the person in question was just not deserving of me in their life, not even as an acquaintance! I have this blessing and curse - I’m too loyal. I would go to the end of the earth to help someone I cared about and in the past three years people have taken huge advantage of this. On a normal day I would have just got rid of the person, friend or no friend, but my new understanding self gave in to the cries for help. Well on this given day I realized that I had turned into a person I didn’t like because, for all my new found niceness, I wasn’t happy. So I started to get rid and now I’m back to reaching for the stars and having zero tolerance for BS.

So back to the ring - I am aiming  for something that will make me seem very unrealistic due to its symbolism and its cost. I have decided that I WILL have a 1.5 carat round cut three stone diamond engagement ring with D grade colouring, VVS2 clarity and diamond encrusted platinum band preferably by Tacori. Now all I need to do is find my 6’1 and above, size foot 10, Armani suit wearing investment lawyer that will do the honours of paying for this ring! LOL!

No star is too far, make it happen!

My Star! 



2 comments:

  1. I've often been told I aim too high as well, and eventually you get tired and kinna give in...but recently, I thought about it again. NO! How dare that say we are aiming too high, don't accept cubic zirconia when you want diamonds. NONSENSE! I support you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...