Thursday, August 25, 2011

Till Death Do Us Part

There are rumours circulating that Will Smith and wife Jada Pinkett-Smith are due to divorce after 14 years of marriage. I don't know about everyone else but I'm really saddened by this news! 

We live in an era where marriages often end before death comes knocking so I find it very inspiring when I hear or see people who are still managing to keep it together despite their careers and life throwing hurdles at them. The Smith's are one of the two couples I truly look up to (the other is the Beckham's) and it would be really sad if it truly is the end of the road for them.

I'm going to pay homage to other black couples who have kept it together (so far!) through the rainy days because they truly deserve a standing ovation.

  • Actor Samuel L. and LaTanya Jackson, 31 years

  • Actor Denzel and Pauletta Washington, 28 years

  • President Barack and Michelle Obama, 19 years

  • Basketball player Mitch and Juli Richmond, 18 years

  • Director Spike and Tonya Lee, 16 years

  • Basketball player Byron and Kim Russell, 15 years

  • Actor and comedian Chris and Malaak Rock, 14 years

  • Actor Courtney B. and Actress Angela (Bassett) Vance, 14 years

It's inspiring to see couples that are making it through the 'publicity wedding', 'single black women/baby mothers' and 'Hollywood marriages' stereotypes, even more so, to see that some people still believe and work hard at the 'till death do us part' section of the wedding vows. I pray that when I get married I too will be able to boast about making it through decades of marriage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...