Wednesday, January 12, 2011

What is "real" hair?

A follow up to my last post:

Documentaries like 'Good Hair' by Chris Rock and Tyra Banks' talk show episodes based on the subject of hair have highlighted the impact of hair in the black community and the lengths people will go to have 'good hair'. But what is 'good hair'?

Sadly what I learned from these shows is that the majority of black people associate good hair with silkiness, straightness and  'the white girl flow'. Now I don't know about you guys but I have never met a black person who doesn't have a mixed heritage with any of these qualities!

On the same topic, there is a huge debate on what is considered to be 'real' hair. Is it the hair that grows out of your scalp? Does your hair stop being 'real' when you add chemicals? If you are wearing a weave made from human hair is that 'real hair'? Is it acceptable to wear another human's hair on your head?

I'd like to know your thoughts and feelings on the matter so please leave a comment.



3 comments:

  1. Real hair is growing out of your head for me don't really care if it's processed or not cos where do you draw line? Is having gel in your hair not real?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looool! I agree. How do u feel about 100% human hair?

    ReplyDelete
  3. well it's not the person who is wearing its real hair so I guess I think its fake

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...